Thursday, September 16, 2010

Chapter 6

Chapter 6 talks about getting students to become active readers. One of the ways to do that is to get to get students to anticipate what will happen in a story. I really like the example of the Anticipation Guide for The Diary of Anne Frank. I think the questions the teacher asked really got students to think about how they would respond to these difficult questions. I think that was a creative way to get students to think about what happens in the play and how the characters would answer those questions. I also liked the K-W-L strategy to help students better understand a nonfiction story. I think this approach would be very useful for students because nonfiction stories often require background knowledge and K-W-L helps students organize their knowledge. I also thought the Probable Passage was really interesting. I think it’s a good idea to try to get students thinking about what they read. It’s very interesting to me because I’ve never heard or seen the Probable Passage used before. I think it would be a different and creative way of getting students to think about what they’re going to read. I’ve also never heard of the Tea Party strategy. It’s a neat way to play with the text of a story in order to get students involved. I think all of the strategies mentioned in the book are fun and different ways to get students active in reading.

1 comment:

  1. Good points... It is so important to activate students' background knowledge before they read. All these are great strategies!

    ReplyDelete