Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Foot: School Topics in the News

I like to read the news online. Lately I've noticed that a lot of things that we've talked about with schools have appeared in the news. On the View the day after the superbowl, there was an episode that dealt with a boy who was bullied at school. A few NFL players stopped by to show their support for the young boy. I thought it was great that these big guys were speaking out against school bullying. I also just read an article about a high school English teacher in PA who is suspended without pay because she made comments on her blog about her "whiny" students. I just thought it was a great reminder of why you should not put certain information online. I'm sure as teachers we will all have students that will annoy us and test our patience; however, I think as teachers it is important to maintain a level of professionalism and that includes NOT posting negative comments on the internet.

1 comment:

  1. I also like to read or watch the news online. Lately, with all the international news, I find that it would be great to be talking about this with my students. The revolution in Egypt, and the revolts in other Middle Eastern countries is living breathing history. I hope that there is literature written about these times, because I think literature ties in a lot with history. I also saw that article about the PA teacher who was suspended. In this age, teachers need to be aware that the internet can be viewed by everyone. No matter how much protection you put up, someone will see what you have written. I think that also ties in with having a facebook. I will not be deleting my facebook once I graduate college. I think that it will be useful to talk to all of you after we graduate to give each other support. I do not agree with letting your students become your friends though. Like we talked about in class, I think it is perfectly okay to make a fan page so you can post things that the students can see, but they cannot see your personal life. Though I think it is important to open up to students, I think that there is a line that should never be crossed.

    ReplyDelete