Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Pytash: Chapter 6

I really liked this chapter because it had a lot of useful information about lesson plans and the Odyssey. I love the Odyssey so this chapter was fun for me to read. I liked that groups of students were assigned one book from the Odyssey to present to the class. I like the presentations because I think it forces students to really know and understand what is happening in that particular book if they have to teach it. I had to a project similar to the expert group presentations when I was in high school. My class was divided into groups and we were assigned three books to cover in the Odyssey. We had to create a children’s book based on the Odyssey and then teach the book to the first graders in the primary school. I had to know what the books were really about before I could teach them to someone else and I think the expert group presentations would work in the same way. I also really liked all the examples of handouts for the Odyssey in this chapter. I think the cast of characters, Greek gods, and map all help the student to understand the Odyssey in a better way. I think the handouts would help students clarify the different gods and characters from each other.

On another note, I did like the example of the Cornell notes and her notes on note taking. I think note taking helps the students to stay focused on the material. I think it could be useful to collect notes in some classes to make sure that students are following along and understanding the information.

1 comment:

  1. I also really liked the idea of having groups of students teach one section of the Odyssey to the class. I think that it is a good way for students to really look more in depth at one part of the book and demonstrate that they understand. I also think that your idea of creating a children's book seems really cool. I think that it would help the students figure out the main ideas and themes.

    ReplyDelete