Saturday, April 23, 2011

Pytash: Chapter 7

“Literature frequently provides a context in which to examine moral dilemmas.”

I thought this was an interesting chapter. I smiled when Linda Evangelista said, “It was God who made me so beautiful. If I weren’t, then I’d be a teacher.” It made me think about the misconceptions associated with teaching. One section that stood out to me in this chapter was Applying Literature to Life. I really liked that she was trying to relate what they were learning to their own lives and the world around them. It reminded me of a high school journalism class. You are constantly asking “Why should I care?” or "Why should the reader care?" I think that’s an important point to remember when teaching. Why should students care about what you’re teaching them? I think students should be able to learn and gain new perspectives from the topics taught in a class. They need to be able to take something valuable away from the lesson. Otherwise, what is the point of teaching something if it will not affect the students?

I also liked Jago’s assessment for Julius Caesar. I really like discussion questions because it gives students more freedom in their answers. Students have to defend their thoughts. I also like this type of assessment because I think it allows the teacher to have a better understanding of how well a student understands the material.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your statement about asking why should the reader care. This is especially important when reading classic texts because students won't care unless you help them make that connection. We are constantly asking ourself "What's in it for me," and high school students will be no different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - there are many misconceptions about teaching. I think many people assume it is easier than it really is. Maybe since we have all been students we think we understand the experiences of teachers.

    ReplyDelete