Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Foot: Pleasure Reading


I just recently stumbled on the television show The Vampire Diaries. After watching one episode, I decided to watch a few more episodes to see how it compared to the Twilight series. I wanted to read some of the books as well to see how they compared. I’ve read the first two books in the series: The Awakening and The Struggle. At first, I felt like the author was stealing a lot of the same ideas from the Twilight series, but as I got further into the books I realized that they are quite different. The television show adds a lot of sexual appeal whereas the books don’t incorporate that as much. I think it’s interesting how this vampire genre seems to dominate young adult literature right now. I really enjoy reading the Twilight series as well The Vampire Diaries. I plan on reading the rest of the books in The Vampire Diaries when I have time.

2 comments:

  1. If you like her, she has a few other series as well. You might like the Nightworld series, especially. I can totally see that you might think L.J. Smith was sort of copying Meyers, but actually The Vampire Dairies were written way before Twilight. Good to hear that you like the series though. I'm personally not a fan of the show because I feel like it is too different from the books and should have been separated and made it's own. Also, the books series is my least favorite by her, so that's a factor as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you probably already know... I love Vampire Diaries. I tried to read the books but before I had even finished the first chapter of the Awakening I stopped because it was so different. I am thinking about giving it another try and reading it as a completely different story. I am also interested in reading the Nightworld series. Let me know if you enjoy the books

    ReplyDelete