Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Foot: Video Games in the Classroom

I thought this article brought up a lot of interesting points although I don’t know that I agree with all of them. I liked that the article talked about a school that was trying to use technology to help students learn; however, I’m not really a fan of using video games in classrooms. In my College Writing class, I had to write papers on video games after I had played them. I actually hated the fact that I was forced to play video games for a class. I don’t like playing video games to begin with so this approach to learning didn’t appeal to me at all. I felt like my teacher was trying to incorporate “cool” things into the class. I do think this approach to learning could benefit a student who likes video games. If you had a student in your class who liked videogames, then I think the use of videogames could help the student become more interested in the class. I think a teacher needs to know who his or her students are in order to see if this type of approach would work.

1 comment:

  1. I think you bring up a good point about how some students don't like video games. As a teenager I couldn't stand them. I didn't understand why they were so popular, and I found them to be lacking in an purpose whatsoever. I agree that I wouldn't want to have my students write about a video game, but I would use video games to relate the material we are going over. For Language Arts, I think it is almost impossible to use video games in the classroom unless we are going over a contemporary book that has its own video game.

    ReplyDelete